MR WILLIAM CARSON
William Carson was an extensive farmer who worked on the latest scientific methods and was looked on as one of the leading agriculturists in Mid-Antrim. His large holding at Dreen was a tribute to his abilities as a practical farmer and hard work. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the County Antrim Agricultural Association and took an active part in the organisation of the annual Ballymena Show.
Following the passing of the Local Government Act Mr Carson was elected a member of the Ballymena Board of Guardians, and for a good many years was chairman of that board. He was also appointed to the County Antrim Magisterial Bench, as senior magistrate for the Petty Sessions districts of Portglenone and Ahoghill. As a Justice of the Peace William Carson had a knowledge of the common law and a deep knowledge of humanity, always acting in the best interests of justice, his decisions were at all times impartial and fair to all parties concerned.
An extremely busy man all his life Mr Carson found time to take an active part in all things that tended towards the betterment of his fellowman. A staunch Unionist, he was enthusiastic in all that pertained to the advancement of Irish education. Through his generosity a nine-hole golf course of thirty-five acres was established and officially opened in April 1914 at “The Loopagh” or the old race course, a short distance from Cullybackey which ran successfully for several years. He was also a director of the Land Building Investment Company.
He was married to a Miss Craig, daughter of Robert Craig, Kirkinriola and they had one son James and three daughters. He passed away in February 1920.