WILLIAM SHAW

1878-1951

Author of the book “Cullybackey”, The Story of an Ulster Village, published in 1913, William Shaw was a native of Cullybackey who obviously loved the village and surrounding area.  A lifelong member of the Cullybackey Reformed Presbyterian Church he wrote a history of this congregation.  William also earned acclaim in the literary field by contributing articles to the Ulster Book Lover, the Ulster Journal of Archaeology and other journals.

A solicitor by profession he had an office in Wellington Street, Ballymena.  With a keen interest in local affairs he became a member of the Ballymena Urban Council in 1926.  The impression he made there was amply demonstrated when the following year he was elected vice-chairman and in 1928 Chairman.  He was chairman again in 1933, 1936 to 1938 and when Ballymena was elevated to the status of a borough in 1939 William Shaw was unanimously elected as the Borough’s first Mayor.  In 1945 he was elected Freeman of the Borough. He also represented Ballymena on the Antrim County Council for nine years and was also a J.P.

William Shaw died at his home, Mountstewart, Cullybackey Road, on 31st July 1951 and was interred in Cullybackey beside the church where he had served as secretary for forty-six years.

Total Page Visits: 557 - Today Page Visits: 1