Mr William Young, J. P. 1828-1913
Mr William Young came from a well-known and honoured Mid-Ulster family, who had been identified for generations with what was known as the staple industry of the province. He was the owner of the Maine Bleaching and Dyeing Works at Cullybackey and Fenaghy, a director of the Braidwater Spinning Company, with interests in the York Street Flax Company.
Mr Young did not take a prominent part in politics, but was noted for his connection with religious movements. A deeply religious man he was the largest contributor to the Presbyterian Church at Ballymena and Portrush where he had a summer home. For some years he was a member of Portrush Urban Council and organised the movement resulting in the erection of the beautiful memorial window in Mark Street Hall, commemorating Americans’ generosity in contributing to the funds to establish the Presbyterian Church in Portrush. He was associated with the Ballymena branch of the Y.M.C.A., in which he took a great interest, and organised the great revival meetings which were held on his grounds at Fenaghy.
William married Miss Jane Armstrong, Culmore, County Londonderry on the 15th January 1857 in Craigs Parish Church. They had three sons, James, William and Roland and three daughters. He was of a gentle and unassuming in manner, doing good by stealth in many and varied directions and helping with a generous hand those who needed it. Mr Young passed away on the Monday, 20th January 1913 at Lisnavarna, Portrush, aged eighty-five and was laid to rest in Ballymena Cemetery.