MR JOHN FRAZER

MR JOHN FRAZER

Mr John Frazer, at one time head of Frazer and Haughton Ltd., linen manufacturers and bleachers of Cullybackey and Belfast, was one of the best known members of the Irish linen trade. Born on 5th September 1848 at Astley Bridge, Bolton-le-Moors, Lancashire, the only son of the Reverend Kenneth Frazer, vicar of that parish. The early death of his father led to his boyhood years being spent on the other side of the Atlantic, when his widowed mother, with his sister went to live with her brother, Colonel Tunbridge, at St. John’s Newfoundland where he was then stationed.

It was here that John Frazer received his education and where he remained until 1866, when at eighteen, he came to Ireland with the object of adopting some profession or embarking on some business. Almost by chance he visited Banford, where he witnessed linen bleaching for the first time and so great was his interest that he entered the service of Banford Bleach Works Company. This was the beginning of his connection with an industry in which he was to have such a successful career.In 1876 he married Miss M. M. McTier, duahger of James McTier, of Vernant Lodge, Belfast.

In 1881, in partnership with Mr T. Haughton, he acquired the bleaching and finishing works at Hillmount, Cullybackey and there he had resided ever since, taking a leading role in the development of the business and doing a great deal to improve and modernise the methods of linen bleaching and finishing.He enjoyed the respect of the members of the trade, who valued his judgment and opinions on matters affecting the welfare and progress of the industry. In 1901 he held the position of president of the Linen Merchants’ Association.

He was a man of kindly and genial disposition, a brilliant conversationalist and a great friend to many. Having originally been intended for a university education, he had received a thorough classical education and his taste in literature was both keen and discriminating. He was an ardent sportsman, a good shot and an expert fisherman. As a member of the Church of Ireland, he held for many years the position of rector’s churchwarden for the parish of Craigs.

Mr Frazer took a keen interest in public affairs, both nationally and locally and was a staunch Conservative. He was a Justice of the Peace for County Antrim, an honoured member of the Ulster Club and the Union Club, Belfast.

Mr John Frazer, passed away on the 27th March 1910, aged sixty one and was buried in the adjoining graveyard of his beloved Craigs Parish Church. He was survived by his widow and sons Kenneth James Frazer and Sydney John Frazer.

 

Total Page Visits: 374 - Today Page Visits: 1